Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Oh my darlin', Clementine

I have a new addition to my little family here in Birmingham. 
Her name is Clementine.
And she is the best dog on the face of the planet. 
I adopted Clemmie this past Friday from a local foster home here in town. She has been in foster care for about four years now. Let me tell you her story: 
Clementine was found in downtown Birmingham underneath a BFI container with her puppies. She was only about 6 months old at the time and had sustained injuries to her right eye. The foster care owner found Clemmie in this junk yard right after a man had stabbed her in the eye while she was trying to protect her puppies. The owner took Clemmie to the vet immediately but they were unable to completely save her eye so she is now partially blind. 
She has been in foster care since that time. 
I had gone to the home in hopes of adopting another dog that I saw online, but it wasn't such a good match. Then out came Clementine and she just hopped in my car and that was it. 
I swear, she is the best behaved dog I have ever seen. She obeys everything and is so calm. Actually, she is pretty lazy but loves to be outside and explore.
All in all, she is fabulous and we are so glad that she is here.  


She is still a little bit shy so she won't come into my room completely. She likes to sit and watch at a distance. In this pic, you can tell that her right eye doesn't work at 100%

The chair is one of her favorite spots to sleep. 


Once again, her being lazy.



The foster care owner had named her Millie but I wasn't particularly fond of that name so I renamed her Clementine. I like the old school, redneck names for dogs. I know everyone is familiar with the song about Clementine... at least the chorus part. I googled the song the other day and actually it's a sad song, but kinda funny. Here are the lyrics:

In a cavern, in a canyon excavating for a mine,
Dwelt a miner, forty niner and his daughter Clementine.
Oh my darling, oh my darling, oh my darling Clementine.
Thou are lost and gone forever, dreadful sorry, Clementine
Light she was and like a fairy, and her shoes were number nine,
Herring boxes without topses sandals were for Clementine
Drove she ducklings to the water every morning just at nine,
Hit her foot against a splinter, fell into the foaming brine.
Ruby lips above the water, But alas I was no swimmer, so I lost my Clementine
In my dreams she still doth haunt me, robbed in garments soaked in brine.
Though in life I used to hug her, Now's she dead I draw the line.

5 comments:

  1. not on my old couch and chair:(

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha!!.. clementine is a cute lazy dog

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait to meet her this weekend!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. gosh...that song really IS depressing. i never knew it was so morbid. oh well. cute dog! haha, that's too funny how she sleeps!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice dog! She looks like my son's dog Ruby. I'm glad that she found a nice home with you. I just found your blog and I look forward to reading more!

    ReplyDelete

Write me something cool, people.